The Regional Inherited Cardiovascular Conditions Service
The Inherited Cardiac Conditions service is based at the Yorkshire Heart Centre and the Regional Genetics Centre in Leeds. It is a specialised genetic and cardiac service covering the Yorkshire region and run by a dedicated multidisciplinary team.
Aims of the service
The service provides information, risk assessments and appropriate screening for individuals and families who are suffering from or at risk of an inherited cardiac condition when there:
• Has been a sudden, unexplained cardiac death in a young person.
• Has been a sudden arrhythmic death.
• Is a family history of Cardiomyopathy.
• Is a family history of cardiac arrhythmias e.g. Long QT, Wolfe • Parkinson White (WPW),
• Brugada syndrome.
• Are a few members of the family who have had pacemakers fitted.
• Is a family history of connective tissue disorders e.g. Marfans, Ehlers- Danlos.
• Is a family history of chromosomal cardiac conditions.
• Is a family history of congenital heart defects.
We have a “Core Team” which consists of:
• Kath Ashcroft – Service coordinator and Genetics Counsellor
• Dr Stephen Page – Cardiologist Cardiologist & Electrophysiologist
• Dr Alex Simms – Consultant Cardiologist
• Dr Anshu Sengupta – Consultant Cardiologist
• Dr Elspeth Brown – Consultant Paediatric Consultant
• Dr Katrina Prescott – Consultant Geneticist
• Dr Rosalyn Jewell – Consultant Geneticist
• Jude Edhouse – Genetics Counsellor
• Jayne Slack – Senior Counsellor
• Annabel Nixon & Clare Taylor- Clinical Nurse Specialists
• Jan Forster & Gemma Bassindale – Specialist Echocardiographer
We also have a number of “Supporting Services” who we work closely with:
• Dr Lisa Barker – Consultant Pathologist
• Dr Waz Baig – Consultant Cardiologist
• Dr Rob Sapsford – Consultant Cardiologist
• Dr D Hares, Consultant Paediatric Consultant with expertise in arrhythmia
There are several ways in which patients are referred to the Inherited Cardiac Conditions Service:
• Self referral – patients are now entitled to contact us directly to request an appointment if they have, or are at risk of having an inherited cardiac condition. We will then contact their GP to get a formal referral.
• GP referral – any patient with, or at risk of having an inherited cardiac condition who isn’t already being seen should be referred.
• Hospital referrals – any patient who has a suspected or confirmed diagnosis can be referred. Reasons for referral might include diagnostic confirmation, exclusion of phenocopies (conditions that mimic a genetic condition), genetic testing, risk stratification, management advice, long term follow up, family screening.
The Yorkshire Heart Centre
Leeds General Infirmary
Great George Street
• Dr Elspeth Brown
Consultant Paediatric Cardiologist
Tel Secretary 0113 3925738
• Dr Page, Dr Simms, Dr Sengupta
Tel 0113 3926619
• Dr Jewell, Dr Harthill
Tel Secretary 0113 3924563
• Kath Ashcroft
ICC Co-ordinator, Genetic counsellor
Tel: 0113 3924436 sec 0113 3924456
ICC nurse specialists